Friday, July 11, 2008

My First Day As A Backpacker

4th July – Woke up unusually early to get ready for my trip. Mum drove me to the bus station in Pontian where I took an express bus to Larkin bus station. The feeling wasn't great as I feel uneasy from wht my mum has said last night. However I managed to keep going.

Lugging two big bags drew curious glances from most people especially in Pontian town. Even in Larkin, the sight of a Malaysian guy carrying a backpack drew attention as well. Being looked upon as a tourist in a familiar place is indeed quite fascinating.

Had lunch in Larkin while waiting 3 hours for my bus to Mersing. Since I am regarded as a tourist, I might as well do what most tourist do and that is to go sight seeing. Yes! I went sight seeing in Larkin. Amazing isn't it? To tour a bus station that I have been like a few hundred times. HAHA. Even so I managed to capture some sights that I have never seen before at the shops above the bus station.

One thing notable here is that I realised how good my guidebook is. It gave me the correct fare for the bus to Mersing and is even spot on to the fact that the Mersing bound bus will make a stop at a travel agency where travellers will be “advised” to take up packages to Pulau Tioman that sometimes doubles the actual price. Nevertheless I alighted at the agency and obtained some genuine information about the island that I wanted to go. (Pulau Rawa, Besar and Tinggi) These island aren't popular with backpackers and therefore no budget accommodations are available so I decided to go Pulau Tioman instead. The price quoted to me was the same as stated in the guidebook. I guess they don't get to con a Malaysian backpacker holding the Lonely Planet huh.

As it was too late to go over to Tioman I decided to stay overnight in Mersing and sad to say my first night was quite unexpected. I shared the dorm with 3 French girls, 1 Holland guy and 1 German guy. The place was like what I expect from a backpackers and at the price of RM10 per night I did not expect a lot. It was the amount of mosquitoes, heat and the noise from the road that caught me off guard. I think sleeping in a double decker bed added to the level of discomfort as well. The backpacker is located at the side of Mersing's busiest street and it reminds me of my grandmother's house in Pontian Besar. Just when you're about to fall asleep, a motorcycle with a broken exhaust or an “Ah Beng” with a modified exhaust will dash across the street. I think I slept for 3 hours before waking up at 8am to catch my ferry to Tioman despite having such a long day. Not a great way to start of my journey as a backpacker.

1 comment:

AishaHumaira said...

And then what happened? You went to which island? and how much the cost n all that???