Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Second Sanctuary

3-7 Aug - After my rendezvous with Richard and Gwen, I set off to an arduous 8 hour journey across the scenic East West highway from KB to Sungai Petani in Kedah. Even though SP is not the capital city of Kedah, it is the busiest and one of the most developed city in the state.

The main reason why I came over here is to cross the border to Thailand even though crossing the border can be done over in KB. I just didn't want to risk doing it because I would have to go through Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani, the 3 most dangerous town in Southern Thailand at the moment because of the Islamic Separatist terrorist movement. During my stay in SP, terrorist sat off 3 bombs injuring innocent civilians and monks as well. Furthermore a visit to SP would also means tht I can pay my dad's best friend a visit as well.

Upon reaching SP, Uncle See Hua and his wife Auntie Siew Kee welcomed me at the bus station. They treated me to a sumptuous home cooked dinner at their home. After 1 month of traveling, having home cooked food for me beats having any "shan zhen hai wei" in 5 star restaurants. HAHA. With a huge koi pond, satellite TV, aircon room and hot shower, his house was my second sanctuary or should I say last one before I venture into Thailand.

On the next day, I followed uncle to Penang on his business trip. Auntie and I went sightseeing in Georgetown little india and I exchanged some Thai currency here as the exchange rate here is the best.

Uncle's daughter, Yee Ling came back from Ipoh in the evening along with yummy Ipoh food as well and for supper she brought me to have the famous prawn mee. She also brought me sightseeing SP at night and showed me a cool place in town where one can go for "prawning" (haha u know fishing for prawn), karaoke and chillin' out at a bar. Too bad I don't have my camera with me. It is a really nice place to hang out with friends.

The next day after yet another yummy pork noodle lunch, we went to Prai in Penang to have auntie's car serviced. While waiting we went for kuey teow chicken that's very famous in Prai as well. At night I went yum cha with Yee Ling and her friends.

On 6th, my real sightseeing in Kedah begins as Yee Ling, auntie and I drove our way up North to the capital of Kedah, Alor Setar. Along the way we stopped in Tupah trying to look for the legendary waterfall as recommended by Yee Ling's friend. Unfortunately we couldn't find it. HAHA Then we ventured further up onto Gunung Jerai (gunung = mountain) There's nothing much on the 1000m high mountain as it was under some major renovation when we arrive.

At last we arrived in the sleepy capital where we visited the revolving restaurant of Menara Alor Setar (menara = tower), ex-Malaysian Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir's birthplace and the national mosque. Along the way we managed to squeeze in more food of course. My favorite was the Indian fried noodle by a Chinese. Funny isn't it? But it's really nice.

I left early next morning on a minivan to Hat Yai where I will begin my Thai journey. I am very touched with the kindness and warm reception I received from Uncle See Hua and family. It is the best way to put an end to my Malaysian journey.