Monday, October 13, 2008

Koh Phangan - The Place I Will Never Forget

14-17 Aug - Now to the saddest part of my blog. The part where I lost more than RM4000 due to my stupidity and carelessness. After my stay in Koh Samui, I went along with what most travelers would do and that is to Koh Phangan.

15km North of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan is a tropical island paradise exist mainly for parties, loud music, alcohol and drugs. Due to its proximity to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan's water and beach is not much better even though you get at least powdery white sand in Haad Rin (Rin Beach). Similar to Samui, Phangan too has a few beaches where you can choose to stay. The most famous is the aforementioned Haad Rin.

Every month at least 20000 to 30000 tourist visit Haad Rin for one sole purpose and that is the Full Moon Party. Held every month on full moon night, the night long party would feature world class deejays playing techno, R&B, drum and bass, house and reggae music. Entry to this event is free but accommodation on the island often doubled or tripled its usual price during these time.

In order to avoid having to pay through my nose for accommodation, I decided to go 2 days ahead of the full moon party. Even so, I had to take the slowest ferry I ever took in my life alongside some 800 other tourist on a boat meant for 300. The 15km journey from Samui to Phangan took me almost 3 hours. On the boat I met up with a Mexican guy, Carlos which I shared the room with for my stay in Phangan.

Upon reaching, we went on a frantic search for rooms. As we chose to alight at Haad Rin, the beach where Full Moon Party is held, finding decent accommodation was extremely hard. Most places were already fully booked or outrageously priced. At last we managed to find a tiny bungalow that cost us 450B a night. As beggars we cannot be choosers so we quickly accepted it.

As Full Moon party night is where business peak for many guesthouses, many local operators tried to expand the event with spinoff such as Half Moon Party, Black Moon Party, Pre Full Moon Party, Post Full Moon Party and many many more. Just more excuses for people to party... Haih..

Coincidentally, the guesthouse beside ours had a Pool Party on the day that we arrive. After dinner, Carlos and I decided to go for a drink and so we ended up at the Pool Party. As we arrived early, the party was quite subdued. But as the night progresses, the party people start trickling in and in no time, the whole place was turned into a party heaven with loud music, disco light and cheap Song Som (Thai Whiskey).

As the name suggest, the party's main attraction is of course the POOL. And under the influence of loud techno music, a few bottles of Chang beer and Songsom, I ended up in the pool. Yes.. In the pool. Of course by going into the pool means I have to make sure my camera, handphone and all valuables are kept dry so under this kind of circumstance, the bench beside the pool became the safest place I knew to place my stuff. HAHA and so the most predictable of things happened.

After partying for a few hours, I got really drunk and told myself that it's time to get the hell out of the place. Therefore I headed back to my room and I conveniently forget about the things I have left on the bench. By the time I woke up the next morning, I realized I have just lost myself more than RM4000 worth of cash and belongings.

Immediately I called the banks to cancel my bank cards and went to the police to lodge a report. When I got to the station, I saw my bag lying on top of the desk. However my happiness was short-lived as all my cash along with my camera and handphone was gone except for my wallet with all my bank cards and passport. I was thankful enough that I managed to get my passport back though.

Carlos and I then went on for a tour around Koh Phangan which we signed up the night before. I felt really sore and didn't want to go but I knew there's nothing more I could do even if I stayed whole day in the guesthouse.

The tour turned out to be equally horrendous. The boat which we took ferried about 50% more than its maximum capacity and because of that it broke down halfway in the middle of nowhere. However we did manage to visit some of the other beaches around Phangan as well as the famous waterfall. The tour which usually ends at 5pm ended at 8pm for us and we were starving by the time we went back to Haad Rin.

I spent the next day traveling across the island to the main town, Thong Sala where I can formally lodge a police report. The police at the station offered no comfort to me and I ended leaving the place feeling more cheated than ever. I had to pay 400B for the police report and when I asked the policeman for a lift to the bus station about 2km away and he even had the cheek to ask for more money from me. Haih...

At night, I did what I am supposed to be there for and that is to go for the Full Moon Party. The whole 3km long Haad Rin beach turned into a huge party arena with different clubs paying different music to attract party goers. Each promoting themselves as the most happening place to be in. The streets are also overrun with stalls selling snacks, SongSom, beer, and all sorts of liquor. Pubs, not wanting to lose customers to their larger counterparts, played loud music and offered free body painting. The whole place was just like a crazy party zone. I however did not had a single drop of liquor the entire night. I stayed sober to look at how crazy people get under the influence of alcohol and I fully realized why Islam forbids its followers to drink.

At last I went for some snacks and went to bed after feasting my eyes with the full moon party's craziness. As a result, I was able to wake up early next morning to take the early boat to Koh Tao, the third and final island stop ahead of the other hungover tourist...

16 comments:

ling said...

Heya Lit! its great the way u look at things..on the positive side :) even though losing that camera must be like losing ur "lau puo" LOLz..keep up the good spirit and tc!

Anonymous said...

Why talk about Islam, when your own religion forbids intoxication too? Anyway, that was a valuable lesson learned, albeit a little expensive. Now, I also understand why we often read about tourist boats capsizing.This is outrageous and only foolhardy people like you still want to get on to these boats. Son, life is precious, do take care of your own safety.

seehong said...

lit, now i fully see the real picture of your encounter. Religion or not, drinking is ok just know your limits.. you know what? it's been one of my dreams to party in kon samui full moon party too but after the picture you painted, well i'll never ever think about it again. Like your mum said, life is precious, do take good care of yourself while exploring the unknowns.
uncle lim

xentria said...

wah uncle. dun say like dat ler.. koh phangan is still a nice place to go to. just wasn't as wht i expected only. the party there was very nice. it's just because of the exp i had so i didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped so.. u can still go there but just becareful of your belongings cos many other tourist lose their stuff in that area.. if you are careful enough then it should be all right.

i hope I hv done enough to clarify things. i don't want thai gov to ban me from entering. i still hope to go travelling in thai. haha.

xentria said...

oh one more thing.. u can go on safe and even private boat to koh phangan as well.. it's just tht i am backpacking so i took the cheapest alternative...

seehong said...

hmm.. thanks for added details. You know one of the reasons why I had always wanted to go there was be able to party as wild as I can without inhibitions.. that means nude swimming, booze and the like. But at this age, think thrice or more.. then again, with the money to take private boat and safety assured, why not one day... you'll never know that day when I put a picture of myself partying in the nude in koh samui or koh phangan..

xentria said...

haha. you are so funny. u are now officially the funkiest uncle i ever had... haha.. i hope u get to fulfill your dream soon.

Anonymous said...

This uncle is not only funny, he is a bit siau siau as well when the time is right! Wait till u know him better, ha ha !!

ling said...

LOL.. just overnight and so many funny comments..

Uncle SeeHong, 110% of full support from me if you are heading down the full moon party.. guess life is short, so live it without regrets, eh? *winks* let me know if you need help to video the nude swimming scene.. haha!

Uncle BS and Auntie, you guys should join him too! :P

seehong said...

ling, you must be the sweetie daughter of lim see hua and teng with whom I had lunch at the pontian complex, right? glad you join in the fun or else sometimes it doesn't make sense for him just to write and wonder if anybody reads or cares at all!lol

Anonymous said...

Same things doesn't occur twice but u still let it occured. Sigh.

Never mind lah, all this are shen1 wai4 wu4. Can earn again and but again. Life is more important.

Takecare and becareful.

Jason said...

Well, looks like a family forum over here. Lit, this must be the most memorable time you had... I believe, and you should never had it for the second time. I mean, no more second time of losing your precious belongings during your trip. Totally agree with your mum. Should be extra careful, learn from mistakes and no more next time.

This time you're lucky to have your passport back. Orelse.. you'll be stranded over there.. "lui lang jie tou"..

ling said...

yup uncle seehong, im yeeling. it was great pleasure to get to know you that day at lunch. hope to see you again when im down in pontian or or at the next moonlight party perhaps? :P

dont worry uncle, theres a stats counter and Lit's site is very popular! so theres many people who care.. haha look at the number of comments of "take care" Lit in this page alone! hehe..

xentria said...

ooo.. thanks for the comments guys.. now i realli feel appreciated for my writings.. hahaha... most ppl just logon to read and leave without a comments. and yeah yeeling is rite. statcounter is the only indication i get that my blog is being read.

anyway shueyding, i dun quite understand wht u mean by me letting the same thing happen twice? when did i giv u the impression tht i lost my camera and handphone before? i hope i dun hv short term memory lost...

Anonymous said...

Sori. Cos I din see the date is August. I thought in Oct u lost it again. U just reiterate the story of losing the things.

When are you coming back? CNY Back?
Maybe can have a gathering again next year during CNY if wyvette got come back. She oso miss the karaok.

Zoe said...

Hey Lit Han. I just finished watching "Into The Wild" last night and this movie reminds me of you. How are you been doing lately? Hope everything is fine.